Saturday, April 5, 2008

The True Friend

What I'm about to post is just some random thoughts I had this week. They are not meant to represent society as a whole, since not everyone is like me. That being said, I think there is some good advice in here (advice I need to listen to as much as anyone else).




Lean on me
When you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For, it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
Lean On Me, Bill Withers

How many people would you trust to lean on during your toughest times? For me, this is a hard question. When it comes to talking to people during my worst days, it's hard. I have a lot of trouble opening up to people. Growing up as a guy, you learn not to share your feelings. You deal with problems by keeping them inside you. The only thing you show on the outside is a smile, a grunt, etc. That'll work in good times, yes. But I know I like to brag in the good times. I'm excited to share those. But, the bad times... well... I don't know. There is value in venting about when life sucks. There is value in (gasp) crying when you are sad. But that's so hard for me to practice. I mean, I'm not going to share my life story with someone I only know a little bit. I always wonder "What would they think of me? What are they going to say/do?" I have a few friends I can talk to, but even those guys I won't talk to unless I'm pressured to (usually).

In the same token, how many people trust me to lean on during their toughest times? I know I haven't exactly been the greatest person in the world. I can even think of a couple of times where someone was talking about something serious, and I didn't take it seriously. I'm such a jerk sometimes. Back on the point, do I put myself out there for people to see that I can help them through there problems? Do people trust me? I hope that some do (I know that some do, in fact), but I know that there are many people that probably don't.

I guess here's some closing thoughts. I need to be more open and more approachable. Maybe we as a society need to as well, but I can't speak for everyone. Imagine if all your friends could help you carry your burdens. Imagine how much joy it can give you to help a true friend get through a tough time for him. I realize that it takes a lot of work, and to some extent, I fail a lot at this. But I hope we can try together.

No comments: