Friday, April 25, 2008

And now ...for Sports...with 42

The most enjoyable yet scariest series in any playoffs are those games/series between rivals. Why do I bring this up? I am a huge supporter of the Detroit Red Wings, who happen to be playing their biggest rival, the Colorado Evilanche.

Quick story before I go on. I was planning on watching Game 1 on Fox Sports (since they showed the first round games that were supposed to be on Versus) my friends John and Paul. The three of us are excited; we know it's going to be a good night. So we go to the local 7-11, get some Slurpees (ice, slurpees, yeah we were stretching it. Deal with it), get back to John's room, and turn on Fox Sports. It is literally right at 7:30. Of course, Fox Sports doesn't have the rights to second round games. Instead, they are showing a REPLAY of the Tigers-Rangers baseball game. A REPLAY! I wasn't happy, neither were my friends. Ultimately, we end up going to our local Buffalo Wild Wings, watch most of the game there, and cheer our Red Wings to a 4-3 victory. Red Wings to the Stanley Cup (please?)!

Anyways, I am more anxious about hockey than usual. I've grown to like hockey over the past couple of years, and now I get to experience, as a big Red Wings fan, the greatness of a Red Wings-Evilanche series. Colorado, although nowhere near as good as those teams in the past those two teams were trading Stanley Cups, is still a solid team. And it is still hockey, anything can happen. The Red Wings didn't win the President's Cup for nothing. That hasn't meant much recently, but we'll see for this year. All I know is, this will be good.


And because it's still Sports day here,

5 predictions about the NFL Draft (guaranteed to be at least as accurate as Jake Long falling to the Bears at 14).

1) Matt Ryan will fall to the Baltimore Ravens at 8, avoiding the newly renamed "Brady Quinn Private Crying Room" (Note: The Ravens will end up regretting this pick).
2) The Chicago Bears will NOT take a quarterback in the first two rounds (and they will NOT regret this).
3) Chad Johnson will not be a Cincinnati Bengal by the end of the weekend (yeah, it's not directly related, but they'll need draft picks).
4) The Patriots are not going to find anyone to trade down with, and their pick will surprise people. They will make a pick that seems like a reach, but isn't (Don't know who, but it will surprise).
5) For humor's sake, the Lions will draft Devin Thomas. I will start laughing very hard, and Detroit fans will pummel me for it.

No comments: