Friday, September 5, 2008

NFL Season Preview: What you (and me) have been waiting for

Let's go right into it, division by division.

AFC East:

1) New England Patriots: I looked at their schedule, and it's a cakewalk (it helps to be in a bad division). They also were really, really good last year. So it seems pretty logical that they'll run away with this division, and go deep in the playoffs. Final Record: 14-2

2) New York Jets: I'm not sold on them being that good with the Brett Favre circus in town. Maybe they will be, but I don't see them making a huge jump. Yeah, they'll probably win a game or two they shouldn't because of Favre, but they'll also lose a game or two they should win because of Favre. Also, I'm not sure their defense will be good enough. Was it good last year? I don't remember it being very good. Final Record: 7-9

3) Buffalo: I like Marshaun Lynch to make a jump into Top 10 Running Backdom (assuming he stays healthy). However, their coach is a coach that plays not to lose often times, I don't like their QB or their receivers, and I hate their defense. Final Record: 5-11

4) Miami: Uggh. Your biggest moves this year so far were trading away your best player (btw, I thought this was the right move), signing a pothead to a 1 year extension, and handing the keys to a QB that I might be able to out-throw distance wise (well, that last one is a huge exagerration, but I'm sure you get my point). The only good thing? It doesn't get much worse than last year. Final Record: 2-14

AFC North:

1) Pittsburgh: Mostly by default. They still have Roethlisberger, and their defense is solid. There's just something about them that I don't like. I don't know why. Final Record: 10-6

2) Baltimore: If they had any quarterback, any quarterback at all, I might pick them to win this division. I like their defense, I like McGahee, but I'm not sure Flacco or anyone else on their team is worth anything at QB this year. Final Record: 7-9

3) Cleveland: This has the look of a team that is just going to collapse this year. Overly high expectations? Potential 1 year wonder QB? Old running back? Semi-old defense? How does this sound to you? Final Record: 6-10

4) Cincinnati: All kidding aside, this team does not impress me. Yeah, they have offensive weapons, but their defense is bad. Ocho Cinco is a distraction, Chris Henry is a distraction, I'm not sold. Final Record: 6-10

AFC South

1) Indianapolis: I'm not that concerned about the Manning injury. I'm not that concerned about Freeney coming back from an injury. I'm not overly concerned about the Jeff Saturday injury. This team could win it all. They will be good. Final Record: 13-3

2) Jacksonville: I love Garrard this season. He will be great. The running game is still great, so is the defense. If they weren't in the same division as the Colts, they'd easily be the top team in their division. Final Record: 11-5

3) Houston: Yes, Houston. Shock of the year, they'll be that team that no one expects to come through, and they do. If Matt Schaub and Andre Johnson stay healthy, I'd watch out. Final Record: 10-6

4) Tennessee: Well, someone has to be the loser in this division. They'll be okay, but not great. Vince Young will make some small steps forward, but not enough. Their receivers still suck. Final Record: 7-9

AFC West

1) San Diego: Obvious choice here. LT wins the division single-handedly, basically. Still don't like Norv Turner. Final Record: 11-5

2) Denver: Jay Cutler could make some steps forward. That defense could be better than it was last year. I just don't see it. Final Record: 7-9

3) Oakland: An interesting team that could spoil a couple of teams seasons. However, I wasn't a big fan of JaMarcus Russell in college, and I still am not a fan. I'm not sure they have any weapons. Their defense is going to have to carry them. Final Record: 5-11

4) Kansas City: They just look bad. If Larry Johnson doesn't carry the load (and all signs point toward him getting injured again, in my opinion), then this season will be in huge trouble. Final Record: 3-13

NFC East
NOTE: The opinions in this section were finished BEFORE last night's game. The Giants/Redskins showdown had no effect on the rankings.

1) Dallas: This team is too talented NOT to win this division. Jessica Simpson's boyfriend (I think she and Tony Romo are still going out, but I don't follow up on this celebrity garbage) will by default get 4000 yards, and their offense wins the division, and probably the NFC. But... all bets are off when the playoffs hit. Final Record: 13-3

2) Philadelphia: I believe that Donovan McNabb will stay healthy all season. If he does, he will only add to an already very good team. I'm sold (also, go Brian Westbrook. Lead me to my dorm Fantasy Football championship!). Final Record: 10-6

3) New York Giants: I'm not sold. They lost a few key players on defense. Will Eli Manning be the Manning of the playoffs, or the Manning of the last few regular season games? Final Record: 7-9

4) Washington: Their offense looks bad (even last night). Their defense doesn't look good enough to carry them. They're in a tough division. This looks ugly. Final Record: 5-11

NFC South

1) Carolina: They were really, really injured last year. They're bound to be healthier. Other than that, this is more of a hunch than anything else. Final Record: 10-6

2) Tampa Bay: Something about them just makes me wonder if they'll be that good. Could Earnest Graham be a 1-year wonder? Is there defense going to hold up? I just don't know. Luckily, they're in the NFC. Final Record: 9-7

3) New Orleans: I just don't think their offense can carry them this year. They started really slow last year, keep in mind. Reggie Bush seems to be more of a bust than the boom they were hoping for. Final Record: 7-9

4) Atlanta: You know, the team that finished last in the NFC South has finished in first the next year every year. I don't believe the pattern continues, this team just looks bad. It's not a good sign when you are starting a rookie quarterback, one whom I didn't like coming out of college, and I am forced to agree, thinking he is in fact the best QB on the team. Final Record: 2-14

NFC West

1) Seattle: Guess what? This team is good. They have been for a while. They'll still be good. And they'll be playing for their coach, who is in his last season. Final Record: 11-5

2) Arizona: I don't think they'll be that good. I think that Kurt Warner will be good enough so that Arizona might be better than the rest. But keep in mind, they still are Arizona. Final Record: 7-9

3) St. Louis: Well, they'll be healthier. Still won't mean that they'll be better, in this case. Final Record: 6-10

4) San Francisco: I didn't see the hype last year. I still don't see the small amount of hype they may have this year. Mike Martz is becoming more mad than genius. Final Record: 5-11


And now, the moment you've been waiting for. There is one division that features more bad quarterbacks than any other. 1 division that features potentially 4 bad teams (although I've talked myself into liking one). 1 division that features my favorite team. Here we go!
NFC North

1) Green Bay: They weren't my pick to win the division a week ago. And yes, I realize Aaron Rodgers has proven nothing, and has the weight of an entire city full of crazed football fans on his shoulders. But look at the rest of this team. Offensive line: good. Running back: probably good. Receivers: Very good. Defense: Excellent, and improving. If the Bears could make the Super Bowl 2 years ago with Rex Grossman as their quarterback, then Green Bay should at least win this division. Final Record: 11-5

2) Minnesota: Speaking of that Bears team a few years ago, this Minnesota team actually reminds me a lot of them. Good defense, good running back, good offensive line, awful QB. However, I am less sold on many things on this team. 1) Can that defense be great, like 2006 Chicago was? 2) Can Adrian Peterson stay healthy all season (he hasn't since his freshman year at Oklahoma)? 3) Can Tavaris Jackson even live up to Rex Grossman, 2006? I just am not sure. Final Record: 8-8

3) Chicago: So many things that could go wrong with my Bears this year. Their defense is starting to look old, and I think our really bad offense from last year may have gotten worse. I don't know how that happened, but it saddens me. Well, I am always the optimist, and will pick them to win for a while anyways, but I just don't like how this season could play out. Final Record: 6-10

4) Detroit: Because the average offense was a huge problem, especially compared to their awful defense, they fire their offensive coordinator. Yeah, that's a good move. But in more serious thoughts, their defense is still bad, Jon Kitna's a year older (and still Jon Kitna), they have no one good running the ball. This team looks bad.... again. But look at it this way, William Clay Ford is helping the mentally handicapped, by keeping his GM. Final Record: 5-11

No comments: