Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Sometimes, God Just Provides

You know, I don't understand why God works the way he does sometimes. Had you told me two weeks ago what was going to happen, I don't know that I would have believed you. But, despite some of the craziness, I'm glad it happened. Because sometimes, you just need to be reminded that God knows best, and he will provide for even when you aren't sure what is going on. I think the best way to describe it is to just go day-by-day (btw, these stories are accurate on my memory. If you think anything is wrong, well as my dad has told me many times, "That's my story, I'm sticking to it").


Monday, May 19th, pretty late at night (actually, I think technically it was Tuesday morning at this point, it's kinda fuzzy).
I'm looking on facebook and I see that the church overnight is that coming weekend. Of course, I'm a little sad, because I know that I have to work, and that I couldn't get it off. Oh well. I missed it last year, and still turned out okay. Whatever.... wait a second. I had to think about my schedule a second, because there may be a loophole.

You see, I had said to myself (correctly, by looking at the request schedule) that there was no way I could get Friday night and Saturday morning off to go. But after looking at my schedule for a second or third time that week, I saw this part, finally.
Friday- Off
Saturday- 4pm to 10pm.
Then, I take a look at the Overnight schedule
Friday- 6pm to Saturday- 4pm. Wait a second! I can go! I can go, assuming my parent's say yes (which they did, with no convincing whatsoever).

Skip ahead to that Friday. I get there, and of course, there are some good friends I haven't seen in a while. Let me say this, it is nice to live in my house, but I miss being in a dorm with stuff always going on. I got a taste of that at this overnight, starting right off with seeing Joy and remembering just how crazy she can get (no offense Joy). It was fun. Got to play some volleyball, bumper pool, but more importantly, got to catch up with some good friends. Heard some good things about the ministry that night, had some things to think about and all that. But first, more fun. Beginning with the cartoon Robin Hood, I got to spend some time with some friends that I didn't know great, but it was a good time for me to listen. I told myself that I was gonna go to bed by 2, so I could get 6 hours of sleep. I did still had to work the next day. Yeah, right. Next thing I know, I still can't stop laughing (things get funnier when you should be sleeping) and it's 4:30 in the morning! Ah, I've survived on 3 hours of sleep.

Woken up at about 8 (as expected) on Saturday morning. And boy, it did not feel good. I think it took me about 15 minutes to get off of the couch I was sleeping on. But, chug on I must. I had to somehow make it to the morning session and leave after lunch (it was the most convenient time). But, I wasn't sure if I could make it through a 6 hour shift (okay, so I've written papers on less sleep, I'm sure I could have done it). However, during the session, God decided that I shouldn't work all 6 hours (especially since it would have put me over 40 hours, I covered for someone on Tuesday). Instead, I got a text from my mom saying that work called, and that I was to show up at 7, not 4. Normally, I'd be upset that they cut some hours, but in my tired haze, I needed to take some more hours off. Plus, I could stay for the last session, which had some things I needed to hear (so much, I should probably talk about it in another post. Too much to talk about). Long story short, I made it home and made it through the work shift.

Fast forward a day, which I had off. My family went to see Indiana Jones (a good movie, but once again, not worth it to talk about it here), but as we're going back, my mom gets a call on her cell phone. Apparently, my Granddad was in the hospital because of a seizure. He wasn't in good health to begin with (diabetes, among other things), and obviously this was a scary situation. My dad decided to head down to Indiana to see him, leaving my family and I here in GR.

The good news is that, despite almost losing him twice, he not only pulled through, but according to my Granddad, he is feeling better than he has in years. We suspect that he had been on so many pills, they needed to be flushed out of his system (like they were with dialysis). But even more importantly, his heart changed. My Granddad believes in God and Jesus, and I have no doubt that if the worst happened, we would see him in heaven. But he is also a pretty proud person. On Monday, when my Dad arrived and told him about everyone at our home church and at my church in Lansing (among others), Granddad basically said, "Well, it couldn't hurt." However, through the week, it became obvious to my dad that his heart was changing. And maybe that was the most important thing to happen these past two weeks.

Finally, I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that God provided a Stanley Cup for the beloved Red Wings ;) . But that's another story as well.

No comments: